“Logon Process Has Failed To Create The Security Options Dialog” Error

Despite my preference for non-Windows operating systems, I do keep some Windows versions and at least one Windows machine in my arsenal. Here in my home office I have a desktop running Mandriva (I’ll get into that at another time) with a laptop next to it running Vista. I know, I know…. “bad Dan.” Save it. I already know.

Anyway, in the last week or ten days, Vista locked up on me. It would slug itself along as if a process was using up 100% of the available CPU and memory. It’s not a top-shelf machine, it’s just a Dell Inspiron 6400 w/ Core2Duo CPU and 2GB RAM – my wife, Debs, and I have similar systems.

Vista would hang, nearly unresponsive, and 15 minutes or so after I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL (nearly immediately, due to my severe lack of patience with personal computers), I finally had a response, though still no task manager. Less helpful than most BSOD‘s, the dialog stated simply:

Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog
Failure – Security options

Neat.

After poking around the Windows internals as best I could, while still being a good boy and not violating any possible terms of my license (yes, it’s a Genuine copy), I confirmed my suspicions: Vista still sucks.

However, after working around a few things, it was actually Microsoft’s “Safe” Mode (sic) bootup that helped me out. By trimming down the processes, I was able to debug the issue and narrowed-down the culprit: AcroRd32Info.exe. In fact, the whole Adobe Acrobat Reader installation was crapped-up. It turned out, every time I would load a multilayer PDF, it was causing a serious buffer overflow issue that was spiking CPU usage as high as 100%, memory usage to 99.6% of available RAM (spilling over into virtual memory) and maintain those levels until I hard-booted the machine. All total, between the three screwups, I lost about 3.5 full weeks of research for an AI neural network application I’ve been building, but nothing permanent. It’ll be like a drunken bender to the brain. It will survive.

Anyway, the lock-ups were primarily my fault, as should be expected. I was using an outdated version; I was using 8.1, whereas 9.x is the current version as of this writing. I installed the latest version and tried to reproduce the overflows — nothing. Keeping my fingers crossed, I think I can mark this as solved.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The CAPTCHA cannot be displayed. This may be a configuration or server problem. You may not be able to continue. Please visit our status page for more information or to contact us.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.